Importance of Seed Treatments and PROPER Application Techniques
- If the seed is worth planting, then it's worth protecting with a seed treatment.
- Seed treatments minimize the impact diseases cause at the critical stand establishment phase.
- Seed Treatments help the plant become established to better utilize moisture and nutrients.
- A treated seed uses energy reserves to emerge and grow, rather than defending itself from invading disease pathogens.
- It has been proven that treated seed emerges faster than untreated seed; producing a more vigorous and robust plant.
- Treated seed gets off to a better start ensuring that other crop inputs (fertilizer) are maximized.
- Losses from disease can be many faceted:
- Reduction in plant stand
- May affect weed competition = dockage
- Direct impact on yield
- Direct impact on quality
Proper Application is KEY!
There are two basic cornerstones to proper application: RATE and DISTRIBUTION
- Rate: Minimum rates are registered. Hence, rate cutting makes getting even distribution even more difficult.
- Distribution: The practice of evenly spreading the seed treatment onto every seed can be tricky.
Commercial Applicators have the equipment and trained staff to ensure both proper rate and even distribution is achieved.
Poor Application is a waste of time and money. Studies have shown that poorly applied seed treatment products, at less than label rate, perform very similar to seed that was not even treated. To get the benefit of today's seed treatment products, proper application is a must!